I was looking for a new pair of socks for a snowshoeing trip I was planning. I really wanted a sock that was not too thick for fear that they would take up too much room and be tight in my boot and cause my feet to get really cold, but, I also wanted some padding in the toe and heel to help prevent toe-bang due to the extra weight of the snowshoes. I found these Medium weight Ecosox Bamboo Socks for $8.00 (far less expensive than the ones I typically purchase at REI).
Socks woven from the fibers of Bamboo and a great price? I have to give them a try.
Bamboo facts from the ECOSOX Website:
- ECO-FRIENDLY – Bamboo produces 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees.
- SUSTAINABLE – Moso bamboo is one of the world’s fastest growing plants.
- ABSORBENT – Absorbs up to 60% more water than cotton.
- RENEWABLE – Bamboo is a grass, so once cut it can regenerate quickly without need for replanting.
- NATURALLY SOFT – Bamboo is softer than the softest cotton.
- UV PROTECTION – Bamboo naturally provides added protection against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
Well, these socks are certainly soft and comfortable, and after wearing and washing them for about a dozen or so times, they actually seem to be getting softer. Ecosox claims that the viscose bamboo material helps fight odor… and I believe their claim. After several hours of snowshoeing or hiking my feet are pretty damp from perspiration, yet when I take my boots off, my feet don’t smell that bad. I’m not saying they smell like Jasmine or Orange blossoms, but man, my feet have smelled WAY worse.
I have worn them while hiking in the summer too and even as a medium weight sock, it does not feel as if my feet are roasting.
These are one of the most comfortable socks I have ever owned. I enjoy wearing these socks around the house on cool evenings and I can honestly say these have been the best active wear socks I have purchased… I highly recommend them and I now own 6 pairs of this particular sock.
To learn more about Ecosox visit their website at… http://www.ecosox.com/
Disclosure: I own this product and purchased it using my own funds.